Church conservation in Wilton
Often described as an Italianate Church, St Mary and St Nicholas Church in Wilton near Salisbury dates back to 1845. The architects were Thomas Henry Wyatt and David Brandon and it is in the Romanesque style, being an imitation of a basilica in Lombardy.
Much of the early materials were imported from Europe and incorporated into the Church. Unfortunately, the original design copied was intended for a warm, dry Mediterranean climate and by 1885 the fabric needed repair and the problems of leaks, draughts and damp persist to this day.
The Church will celebrate its 175th Anniversary in 2020 and we are pleased to be working with the team in Wilton to review the potential of addressing some of the more urgent items in the Church’s conservation plan.